Journal metrics

Journal metrics

  • IF value: 4.165 IF 4.165
  • IF 5-year value: 4.075 IF 5-year 4.075
  • CiteScore value: 4.28 CiteScore 4.28
  • SNIP value: 1.501 SNIP 1.501
  • SJR value: 1.060 SJR 1.060
  • IPP value: 4.21 IPP 4.21
  • h5-index value: 29 h5-index 29
  • Scimago H index value: 27 Scimago H index 27
Discussion papers | Copyright
https://doi.org/10.5194/se-2018-75
© Author(s) 2018. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.

Research article 06 Aug 2018

Research article | 06 Aug 2018

Review status
This discussion paper is a preprint. A revision of the manuscript is under review for the journal Solid Earth (SE).

New insights on the early Mesozoic evolution of multiple tectonic regimes in the northeastern North China Craton from the detrital zircon provenance of sedimentary strata

Yi Ni Wang1, Wen Liang Xu1,2, Feng Wang1, and Xiao Bo Li1 Yi Ni Wang et al.
  • 1College of Earth Sciences, Jilin University, Changchun, 130061, China
  • 2Key Laboratory of Mineral Resources Evaluationin Northeast Asia, Ministry of Land and Resources of China, Changchun, 130061, China

Abstract. To investigate the timing of deposition and provenance of early Mesozoic strata in the northeastern North China Craton (NCC), and to reconstruct the early Mesozoic tectono-paleogeography of the region, we combine LA–ICP–MS detrital zircon U–Pb dating, Hf isotopic data. Early Mesozoic strata include the Early Triassic Heisonggou, Late Triassic Changbai and Xiaoyingzi, and Early Jurassic Yihe formations. Detrital zircons in the Heisonggou Formation comprise ~58% Neoarchean to Paleoproterozoic and ~42% Phanerozoic grains that were sourced from areas to the south and north of the basins within the NCC. This indicates that Early Triassic deposition was controlled primarily by southward subduction of the Paleo-Asian oceanic plate beneath the NCC, and collision between the NCC and the Yangtze Craton (YC). Approximately 88% of sediments within the Late Triassic Xiaoyingzi Formation were sourced from the NCC to the south, with the remaining ~12% from the Xing'an–Mongol Orogenic Belt (XMOB) to the north. This implies that Late Triassic deposition was related to the final closure of the Paleo-Asian Ocean during the Middle Triassic and the rapid exhumation of the Su–Lu Orogenic Belt between the NCC and YC. In contrast, ~88% of sediments within the Early Jurassic Yihe Formation were sourced from the XMOB to the north, with the remaining ~12% from the NCC to the south. We therefore infer that rapid uplift of the XMOB and the onset of subduction of the Paleo-Pacific Plate beneath Eurasia occurred in the Early Jurassic.

Yi Ni Wang et al.
Interactive discussion
Status: final response (author comments only)
Status: final response (author comments only)
AC: Author comment | RC: Referee comment | SC: Short comment | EC: Editor comment
[Login for Authors/Topical Editors] [Subscribe to comment alert] Printer-friendly Version - Printer-friendly version Supplement - Supplement
Yi Ni Wang et al.
Yi Ni Wang et al.
Viewed
Total article views: 640 (including HTML, PDF, and XML)
HTML PDF XML Total Supplement BibTeX EndNote
552 84 4 640 21 3 5
  • HTML: 552
  • PDF: 84
  • XML: 4
  • Total: 640
  • Supplement: 21
  • BibTeX: 3
  • EndNote: 5
Views and downloads (calculated since 06 Aug 2018)
Cumulative views and downloads (calculated since 06 Aug 2018)
Viewed (geographical distribution)
Total article views: 640 (including HTML, PDF, and XML) Thereof 637 with geography defined and 3 with unknown origin.
Country # Views %
  • 1
1
 
 
 
 
Cited
Saved
No saved metrics found.
Discussed
Latest update: 18 Oct 2018
Publications Copernicus
Download
Short summary
Early Triassic deposit resulted from subduction of the Paleo-Asian oceanic plate and collision between the North China and Yangtze cratons. Late Triassic deposit resulted from final closure of the Paleo-Asian Ocean in the Middle Triassic and exhumation of the Su–Lu Orogenic Belt. Early Jurassic change in provenance was related to uplift of the Xing'an–Mongol Orogenic Belt and the subduction of the Paleo-Pacific Plate.
Early Triassic deposit resulted from subduction of the Paleo-Asian oceanic plate and collision...
Citation
Share